What's happening with the bridge?

Check out the bridge Calendar below

Saturday, January 26, 2008

The end of Haman (but what of the Jews?)

Third installment of Esther (chapters 6-7)

We left off last week with Haman (shake, shake, shake) building a gallows for Mordecai and planning to ask the king to hang him in the morning before they went together to dine with Queen Esther.
Meanwhile, the king had trouble sleeping and was reading through the record of chronicles.  He noticed that a man named Mordecai had saved his life by telling of a plot to assassinate him.  He asked what had been done for Mordecai to thank him.  Learning that nothing had been done, he asked his servants who was around.  Haman happened to be coming early (to try and get Mordecai hanged) and went to the king.
When the king asked what should be done for someone whom the king wished to honor, Haman (thinking that the king was to honor himself) gave grand plans.  The king then informed Haman that he wished to honor Mordecai and that Haman should see to it that all he spoke of (thinking it was to be for him) should be done for Mordecai.
That night at the banquet, Queen Esther finally tells the king her problem.  That she and all her people are to be killed and accuses Haman of masterminding the plot.  Haman is sentenced to hang on the gallows that he had erected for Mordecai.
And now we have an end of Haman, but his plot to kill the Jews goes forward for a law sealed by the king's ring cannot be repealed.



Come Wednesday for the exciting conclusion.  Remember to dress as a character from Esther (or in other costume).


Please pray these prayers:
+ Michelle's cut finger will heal quickly and cleanly
+ Sarah's test results (due in one week) show that she passed all areas
+ Kelli's dad will get into treatment at Loma Linda and treatment will shrink his prostate cancer till it is gone
+ Rachel will get into a good place physically and mentally to start trying again for a baby
+ Michelle's friend, Sara, will not have any complications due to gestational diabetes
+ Ashok will pass his architectural exam Wednesday 9am
+ Ellen and Alex will find the right place and make good decisions as the buy their first home
+ David offers praise that his voice over gig went well.  Pray that he is able to get an internship with Clear Channel
+ Alex praises the opportunities that have come after getting his degree. He can't wait to 'see where the lord takes us'

Paraphrase of Psalm 57 by Leslie F. Brandt
Encompass me with Your love and mercy, gracious Lord; I have no security except in You. I am perpetually exposed to the destructive forces of this existence. I am in constant danger of losing the battle to the very passions and desires of my own nature. I can only submit myself to You and believe that You will fulfill Your purposes in me. Your love, O God, is steadfast; Your grace is everlasting. Even when I am beaten down by depression and ensnared by me weaknesses and frailties and my own lust threatens to devour me, You are my God, and You will not let me go. I am determined to serve You, O Lord. May my life be a continual thank-offering to You, I shall sing Your praises forever.




No comments: